The Global Messenger program instructs Special Olympics athletes in public speaking skills. This training allows athletes to put in their own words how Special Olympics has affected their lives and helps them build skills for self-advocacy. Basic and advanced training is offered. Sessions are held regionally to provide instruction to interested athletes. Materials are also available for an in-school speech instruction class.
Global Messengers can practice their skills by speaking at Special Olympics fundraisers, conferences, and ceremonies. They are available to speak to community organizations, schools, and groups of potential athletes.
Athletes are great ambassadors for Special Olympics and show the potential of what people with intellectual disabilities can accomplish if given training and opportunity.
Athletes who are interested in becoming Global Messengers should talk with their Area Director about attending an upcoming Global Messenger Training session.
For more information on the Global Messenger Program, contact Edie Wirtshafter, Southwest Region Manager/Director of Outreach, at (269) 387-1079 or via email at email@example.com.
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: BEneFIT Pedal Walk (Bay City)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)