Athlete Crowned Queen of the 2012 State Summer Games
The crowd fell silent just moments before Linda Barnaboo, an athlete from Wakefield of Area 39 (Gogebic and Ontonagon Counties), was announced queen of the Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games presented by Spartan Stores.
Celebrity guest Miss Michigan 2011, Elizabeth Wertenberger, crowned Barnaboo as Queen on Friday, June 1 during Closing Ceremonies of the 2012 State Summer Games in McGuirk Arena on Central Michigan University's campus in Mount Pleasant.
The crowd began to cheer as Barnaboo bashfully walked up to the stage. After Miss Michigan placed a crown on her head, a sash over her shoulder and gave her a bouquet of red roses; Barnaboo smiled and waved proudly and gracefully to the crowed.
When Barnaboo was asked how she felt at that exact moment, she replied filled with emotion, "GOOD!"
"We are very proud of her, and this is a very exciting moment for Linda," said Barb Siira, Area 39 Director.
During the 2012 State Summer Games, Barnaboo participated in the softball
throw, 100 meter walk and 400 meter walk.
"I enjoy the softball throw the most, even in the rain," Barnaboo stated. "I even like
Pg. 2 Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games Queen
to watch the other athletes participate in the softball throw."
Each Area had the opportunity to nominate one male athlete and one
female athlete for king and queen. A court of six princesses and six princes was chosen randomly out of all of the nominees, and the king and queen names were drawn from a ballot box live on stage during Closing Ceremonies. The king is Robert Davidson, an athlete from Area 7 (Clare and Gladwin Counties).
- 5/25: Volleyball Tournament (Carson City, MI 48811)
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: BEneFIT Pedal Walk (Bay City)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)