Attention Athletes: Join the new athlete Facebook Group!
By: Jessica Callis
Special Olympics Michigan athletes are now invited to a private Facebook group as an avenue for interaction and feedback.
The Facebook group was created on Friday, April 13 as part of the Athlete Leadership Program (ALPs). This program allows athletes to explore opportunities for greater participation in the Special Olympics movement beyond sports training and competition.
The Facebook group is primarily a way for athletes to talk to each other. It gives them a voice, and a chance to spread the word about the transformations Special Olympics can bring to individuals and families. The Facebook group also allows athletes to share anything they desire including personal stories, comments, shout outs, or concerns.
Belinda Laughlin, Special Olympics Michigan field services coordinator, is in charge of the Facebook group and feels it is a great way to gain feedback from the athletes and keep the communication going. She came up with the idea after realizing more athletes used Facebook than email.
"I appreciate the input from the athletes because they have opinions and it's nice to hear their side of the story," Belinda said. "It's been interesting and I've definitely learned a lot."
Belinda is also creating the Athlete Input Council, which will include a private Facebook page for just one or two athletes from each region.
- 6/20: Water Warriors Boatyard Grille (Chesterfield Township)
- 6/21: 2013 Deputy Sheriff's Golf Outing (Cadillac)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)
- 6/22: Area 8 Miniature Golf (Okemos, Michigan 48864)
- 6/23: 7th Annual Area 19 Golf Scramble (Battle Creek)
- 6/24: 2013 MOMC Charity Muskie Derby (Grosse Pointe Shores)
- 6/25: Water Warriors Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser (Port Huron)
- 7/1: Annual Midland Golf Outing (Midland)
- 7/13: 3rd Annual Buffalo Wings & Rings Golf Outing (Macomb, MI 48042)
- 7/27: LETR Torch Ride