Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run® member selected to run in the 2013 Torch Run Final Leg in Korea!
Hillsdale County Sheriff Deputy and Law Enforcement Torch Run® Member John Gates, has been selected to participate in the 2013 Torch Run Final Leg in South Korea. The Torch Run Final Leg will serve as a prelude to the Special Olympics World Winter Games, which takes place in Pyeong Chang, South Korea on Tuesday, Jan.29.
Starting on Wednesday, Jan. 23, he will be one of 133 members, including 95 law enforcement officers, 10 Special Olympics athletes and support personnel, as they carry the Flame of HopeTM to towns and communities throughout Korea. Final leg runners are selected from all areas of the world to represent their Law Enforcement Torch Run® programs and Special Olympics.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run Final Leg is a running event where officers and athletes carry the Flame of Hope to the Opening Ceremonies of Special Olympics competitions. In honor of the Special Olympics World Summer and World Winter Games, law enforcement officers from around the world gather every two years to carry the Flame of Hope in the Torch Run Final Leg.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run® began in 1981 after Wichita, Kansas Police Chief Richard LaMunyon, noticed an urgent need to increase the awareness of Special Olympics. He found it to be an ideal way to involve local law enforcement personnel with the Special Olympics community. After 31 years of being a part of the success of Special Olympics, the Law Enforcement Torch Run has become a sense of stability for Special Olympics athletes across the globe.
- 8/2: 2014 MPG Dream Ride (Milford)
- 8/4: 23rd Annual Special Olympics of Golf at Pine Trace (Rochester Hills)
- 8/4: 2014 Area 11 Golf Outing (Grand Rapids)
- 8/12: 2014 Medaling Monkey 5k Walk/Run (Grand Rapids)
- 8/23: 2nd Annual Rheeder Pig Roast (Harrison Township)
- 8/23: 3D Archery Shoot and Trap Shoot (Hemlock)
- 9/26: 2014 State Fall Games (Ypsilanti, Canton and Chelsea)
- 10/10: 2014 Inspire Greatness Gala (Detroit)
- 2/3: 2015 State Winter Games
- 5/28: 2015 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)