Special Olympics Michigan Athletes Shine at Shiawassee Community Run
Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI) athletes are full of dignity and sportsmanship. This was evident on Thursday, Sept. 13, as SOMI athletes stepped up to complete the Law Enforcement Torch Run® Shiawassee Community Run.
With 75 percent of the run completed, the Shiawassee County Sheriff announced a need for additional runners to finish the run. Many participants who had just finished their portion of the Shiawassee community run agreed to help. There were also six Area 22 (Shiawassee County) SOMI athletes onboard their bus, which was recently donated by Owosso Indian Trails. These six athletes insisted to finish the run, giving other law enforcement officers a chance to rest.
Director of Area 22, Joe Bronz, was present at the run and was inspired by the level of integrity the SOMI athletes displayed. "I wish I had their drive," said Joe.
Special Olympics Michigan is not just training for sports--it's training for life!
- 12/14: Stoney Creek Wertz Warriors Auction (Onaway)
- 1/9: Law Enforcement Torch Run Kickoff Conference (Acme)
- 1/11: 2014 Brighton Polar Plunge (Brighton)
- 1/18: 2014 Lake City Polar Plunge (Lake City)
- 1/18: 2014 Battle Creek Polar Plunge (Battle Creek)
- 1/19: 2014 Monroe Polar Plunge (Monroe)
- 2/1: 2014 Jackson/Clarklake Polar Plunge (Clarklake)
- 2/4: 2014 State Winter Games
- 2/8: 2014 Sylvan Lake Polar Plunge (Sylvan Lake)
- 2/8: 2014 Gaylord Polar Plunge (Gaylord)