Special Olympics Michigan Athletes Shine at Shiawassee Community Run
Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI) athletes are full of dignity and sportsmanship. This was evident on Thursday, Sept. 13, as SOMI athletes stepped up to complete the Law Enforcement Torch Run® Shiawassee Community Run.
With 75 percent of the run completed, the Shiawassee County Sheriff announced a need for additional runners to finish the run. Many participants who had just finished their portion of the Shiawassee community run agreed to help. There were also six Area 22 (Shiawassee County) SOMI athletes onboard their bus, which was recently donated by Owosso Indian Trails. These six athletes insisted to finish the run, giving other law enforcement officers a chance to rest.
Director of Area 22, Joe Bronz, was present at the run and was inspired by the level of integrity the SOMI athletes displayed. "I wish I had their drive," said Joe.
Special Olympics Michigan is not just training for sports--it's training for life!
- 8/2: 2014 MPG Dream Ride (Milford)
- 8/4: 23rd Annual Special Olympics of Golf at Pine Trace (Rochester Hills)
- 8/4: 2014 Area 11 Golf Outing (Grand Rapids)
- 8/12: 2014 Medaling Monkey 5k Walk/Run (Grand Rapids)
- 8/23: 2nd Annual Rheeder Pig Roast (Harrison Township)
- 8/23: 3D Archery Shoot and Trap Shoot (Hemlock)
- 9/26: 2014 State Fall Games (Ypsilanti, Canton and Chelsea)
- 10/10: 2014 Inspire Greatness Gala (Detroit)
- 2/3: 2015 State Winter Games
- 5/28: 2015 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)