Special Olympics Michigan Athletes Shine at Shiawassee Community Run
Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI) athletes are full of dignity and sportsmanship. This was evident on Thursday, Sept. 13, as SOMI athletes stepped up to complete the Law Enforcement Torch Run® Shiawassee Community Run.
With 75 percent of the run completed, the Shiawassee County Sheriff announced a need for additional runners to finish the run. Many participants who had just finished their portion of the Shiawassee community run agreed to help. There were also six Area 22 (Shiawassee County) SOMI athletes onboard their bus, which was recently donated by Owosso Indian Trails. These six athletes insisted to finish the run, giving other law enforcement officers a chance to rest.
Director of Area 22, Joe Bronz, was present at the run and was inspired by the level of integrity the SOMI athletes displayed. "I wish I had their drive," said Joe.
Special Olympics Michigan is not just training for sports--it's training for life!
- 3/15: 2014 Marquette Polar Plunge (Marquette)
- 3/15: 2014 State Unified Basketball (Kalamazoo)
- 3/21: 2014 Copper Cup Hockey Tournament (Byron Center)
- 3/21: 2014 State Basketball Finals (Rockford)
- 3/23: 2014 Water Warriors Bowl-A-Thon (Waterford)
- 3/29: Port Huron Dodgeball Tournament (Port Huron)
- 4/5: 2014 Euchre Tournament (Rochester)
- 4/11: Craftabulous Retreat Weekend April 11-13 (Utica)
- 4/17: 2014 Cops and Lobsters Fundraiser (Sterling Heights)
- 4/25: Craftabulous Retreat Weekend April 25-27 (Utica)