The Water Warriors are recruiting members for their 5-day, 350-mile, fundraising personal watercraft ride July 29-August 2, 2013 on Lake Huron, to provide opportunities to Special Olympics Michigan athletes.
- February 24, 2013
Roxanne Rollison said, "We will be involved with Special Olympics Michigan the rest of our lives, so there is no better time to start getting involved. When we went to our first Water Warriors meeting in 2011, you could just tell how passionate the Water Warriors are about athletes and we are excited to be a part of the group. We hope to get other friends involved in the future."
The endurance ride raises money for Special Olympics Michigan athletes. There are food, fuel and overnight stops in many communities along the way. The Water Warriors will also provide short, fun rides to Special Olympics Michigan athletes on Sunday, July 28 at 5 p.m. in the harbor area in Mackinaw City and on Wednesday, July 31 at 5 p.m. near the park in Port Austin.
The Water Warriors are a dedicated group of men and women from a variety of backgrounds, who dedicate a week away from work and other obligations, to raise money and awareness for children and adults in Michigan with intellectual disabilities who benefit from Special Olympics Michigan programs. The group of 60 members is made up of about 25-30 riders along with water and land support crew members. The riders follow three lead boats for safety.
Six of the Water Warriors have a child who competes in Special Olympics Michigan. The other riders and land support crew members participate out of their love of the water, and a desire to give back.
Riders can face extreme temperatures, and battle high waves and rough water. They do it all for athletes. Since the Water Warriors started in 1991, they have raised more than $2 million for Special Olympics Michigan athletes.
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: BEneFIT Pedal Walk (Bay City)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)