How can you get involved?
Looking for a great way to change lives, be inspired, and have fun? Join Special Olympics Michigan and start making a difference!
The Special Olympics movement is changing lives everyday! Throughout Michigan, thousands of people are joining the Special Olympics family. Whether you are an athlete, volunteer, coach, or donor*, there is a place for you at Special Olympics.
Special Olympics Michigan works to open doors for people of all ages and all walks of life.
Be a fan of Confidence
Athlete Joe Kaczynski began competing in Special Olympics Michigan at age 8, and has earned many medals since that time. Competing in Special Olympics has also given him confidence as an employee at Runners, where he is the "face of [the] business" according to owner Bill Thompson.
Be a fan of Acceptance
Ken Miedema knew volunteering for Special Olympics Michigan would change his life. He also found that it would prepare him for his future. His years of volunteering gave him a deep understanding of the intellectually disabled, which proved to be exactly what he needed when his granddaughter, Kendall, was born with Down syndrome. "Deep down in our hearts," he said, "God has put a feeling in all of us to help those who are mentally and physically impaired."
Be a fan of Pride
Coach LeeAnn LaRue coaches to change lives, not to win games. Like the athletes she coaches, LeeAnn finds a way to overcome new challenges every day; at age 5, LeeAnn developed spinal meningitis, which caused a lifelong hearing impairment. LeeAnn has embraced her role as a Special Olympics Michigan Coach, "I like to see them do well, she said, "But even when we lose, the team feels proud of their accomplishments and keeps trying to do their best."
- 1/9: Law Enforcement Torch Run Kickoff Conference (Acme)
- 1/11: 2014 Brighton Polar Plunge (Brighton)
- 1/18: 2014 Lake City Polar Plunge (Lake City)
- 1/18: 2014 Battle Creek Polar Plunge (Battle Creek)
- 1/19: 2014 Monroe Polar Plunge (Monroe)
- 2/1: 2014 Jackson/Clarklake Polar Plunge (Clarklake)
- 2/4: 2014 State Winter Games
- 2/8: 2014 Sylvan Lake Polar Plunge (Sylvan Lake)
- 2/8: 2014 Gaylord Polar Plunge (Gaylord)
- 2/8: 2014 Muskegon Polar Plunge (Muskegon)