About the Water Warriors Statewide Civic Partners
2014 Ride dates: Monday, July 28-Friday, August 1
The Water Warriors are men and women from all walks of life who have two things in common; their love of water sports and their desire to help people. The Water Warriors participate in a 5-day, 450-mile endurance ride on personal watercraft (wave runner type machines) starting at Mackinaw City, riding the entire length of Lake Huron, the St. Clair River and culminating at Harsens Island, to raise money for the athletes of Special Olympics Michigan. The Water Warriors Personal Watercraft Endurance Ride began in 1991, an idea born by a member of the Wertz Warrior Snowmobile Endurance Ride, who believed overcoming the obstacles of Michigan's vast waterways and weather conditions could be conquered.
The annual five day trek takes place the end of July. Each day has pre-planned fuel stops, rest stops, evening activities and overnight accommodations. There are three categories of volunteers: The riders, land support, and water support.
Take the ride of your life!
Become a Water Warrior!
- Riders MUST be 18+ years old
- Riders commit to raising at least $1,500 for riding all 5 days. Commitments for riding less than 5 days also available.
- Shorter rides & financial commitments are available
- The Water Warriors are responsible for paying their own expenses on the trip.
- A rider commits to raising a minimum donation of $1,500 and riding his/her machine from Mackinaw City to Harsens Island. The $1,500 can be generated in many ways. Some riders solicit funds through their business associates, others have pig roasts, spaghetti dinners, golf tournaments, bingo's, steak outs, etc.
- Members who raise their money and do not have a PWC or cannot ride will be offered a spot to ride on a Support Boat.
- The water support personnel are in boats with two to six riders assigned to each boat, responsible for the safety of their riders.
- The land support crew follow along on land assisting the riders at each fuel stop, docking, and transporting luggage and equipment.
The Special Olympics program was founded in 1968 by the Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Foundation, to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition for individuals with intellectual disabilities. At this time thereare more than 19,620 athletes who participate in Special Olympics Michigan. As a non-profit organization, Special Olympics Michigan relies upon the generous contributions of time, material, and money from individuals, organizations, and businesses. Without their support, the program would not exist.
If you would like to get involved on any level, please feel free to contact us. We are waiting to hear from you.
Coordinator Wendy May
P.O. Box 234
Anchorville, MI 48004
Water Warriors 2014 Board of Directors:
- Ann Plegue
- Tom Chauvin
- Dan Garon
- Chris Johns
- Bryan Rollison
- Karen Winkle
- Mary Rener
- Wendy May
- Lisa Pioszak
- Darlene Markel
Land Support Director:
- Karen Winkle
Assistant Land Suport Director:
- Jerry Markel
- Matt Addy
- Brad Saegesser
2012 ERIC MUELLER BIG HEART AWARD
Congratulations to Wendy May!
2013 ERIC MUELLER BIG HEART AWARD
Congratulations to Tom Chauvin and Ann Plegue!
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 Water Warriors members attended the Special Olympics Michigan State Poly Hockey Tournament in Lansing. We participated in the Opening Ceremonies and presented Special Olympics Michigan athletes with a check for $55,000!!! We also participated in an autograph session with the athletes. The Warriors attended a few of the Poly Hockey games and cheered on the St. Clair River Rockers coached by Tom Chauvin. It was a great weekend and a wonderful opportunity to see how they money we raise helps sponsor this event that hosted Poly Hockey teams from all across Michigan!
2014 CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Ongoing: Candle Sale - Bryan & Roxanne Rollison (firstname.lastname@example.org) There are 20 different scents & they are $12 ea. (Shipping available)
- June 25th: Lake St. Clair Fun Run - Poker Run (Ann Plegue - email@example.com)
- July 20th: Water Warriors Meeting at Brown's on Harsens Island at 1:00 p.m.
- July 27th-August 1st: WATER WARRIORS RIDE [Sunday 7/27: Mackinaw City] [Monday 7/28: Alpena] [Tuesday 7/29: Tawas] [Wendesday 7/30 Port Austin] [Thursday 7/31: Port Huron] [Friday 8/1: Brown's - Harsens Island]
- July 29th: Tawas Steak Out - Bay Inn & Crow's Nest (Ester Radgowski)
- July 31st: Pig Roast - Bridge Harbor - Port Huron: 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Tom Chauvin - firstname.lastname@example.org)
- July 31st: Office Lounge Fundraiser - Port Huron: 8 p.m. - ? (Jerry & Darlene Markel - email@example.com)
- August 23rd: Eric Mueller Memorial Kayak Run [Harsens Island] (Wendy May - firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tru-Tech Systems, Inc - Gold
James Industries - Gold
Perch Point Conservation Club - Silver
Knights of Columbus - Silver
Fifth Third Bank - Bronze
The Wayne & Joan Webber Foundation - Bronze
Waste Management - Bronze
Leonard Wranosky & Sons Carpentry - Bronze
Jeremy's Automotive & Performance LLC - Bronze
Grosso Trucking & Supplies Co. - Bronze
D&M Lawn, Landscape & Tree Service LLC - Bronze
Millstone Pond LLC - Bronze
M&H Manufactured Housing & Construction, Inc. - Bronze
Changing Places Moving
Knights of Columbus #7227
St. Clair Shores Women of the Moose #69
Rancilio & Associates
Schwanitz, Hayden & Assoc.
The Sweet Tooth of Marine City
Mac & Ray's Harbor Bistro Restaurant - Harrison Twp.
Sindbad's - Detroit
Brown's - Harsens Island
Algonac Harbor Club
Striker's Entertainment Center - Richmond
Grace Performance - Port Huron
American Legion - Mackinaw City
Mackinaw City Municipal Marina
Welcome Inn - Mackinaw
Baymont - Mackinaw
Lighthouse Restaurant - Rogers City
Best Western - Alpena
Hungry Howie's - Alpena
Bay Inn - Tawas
Tawas Bay Marina
Tawas Eagles Club
United States Coast Guard
United States Coast Guard Auxiliary
Caseville Municipal Marina
Thumb National Bank & Trust
SOMI - Area 10
Blue Spruce/Lucky Horseshoe - Port Austin
Buffalo Wild Wings - Port Huron
Achatz Catering - Adair
Bridge Harbour Marina - Port Huron
Office Lounge - Port Huron
Hampton Inn - Port Huron
St. Clair County Sheriff Marine Division
VFW - New Baltimore
B & D Drywall - Clinton Twp.
McFat's Meats - Fair Haven
Mark's Auto - Fair Haven
Kenmore Asphalt - Shelby Twp.
Voyager - St. Clair
Marine City Landscaping LLC
Lite Electric, Inc.
- 8/2: 2014 MPG Dream Ride (Milford)
- 8/4: 23rd Annual Special Olympics of Golf at Pine Trace (Rochester Hills)
- 8/4: 2014 Area 11 Golf Outing (Grand Rapids)
- 8/12: 2014 Medaling Monkey 5k Walk/Run (Grand Rapids)
- 8/23: 2nd Annual Rheeder Pig Roast (Harrison Township)
- 8/23: 3D Archery Shoot and Trap Shoot (Hemlock)
- 9/26: 2014 State Fall Games (Ypsilanti, Canton and Chelsea)
- 10/10: 2014 Inspire Greatness Gala (Detroit)
- 2/3: 2015 State Winter Games
- 5/28: 2015 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)