About the Water Warriors Statewide Civic Partners
2014 Ride dates: Monday, July 28-Friday, August 1
The Water Warriors are men and women from all walks of life who have two things in common; their love of water sports and their desire to help people. The Water Warriors participate in a 5-day, 450-mile endurance ride on personal watercraft (wave runner type machines) starting at Mackinaw City, riding the entire length of Lake Huron, the St. Clair River and culminating at Harsens Island, to raise money for the athletes of Special Olympics Michigan. The Water Warriors Personal Watercraft Endurance Ride began in 1991, an idea born by a member of the Wertz Warrior Snowmobile Endurance Ride, who believed overcoming the obstacles of Michigan's vast waterways and weather conditions could be conquered.
The annual five day trek takes place the end of July. Each day has pre-planned fuel stops, rest stops, evening activities and overnight accommodations. There are three categories of volunteers: The riders, land support, and water support.
Take the ride of your life!
Become a Water Warrior!
- Riders MUST be 18+ years old
- Riders commit to raising at least $1,500 for riding all 5 days. Commitments for riding less than 5 days also available.
- Shorter rides & financial commitments are available
- The Water Warriors are responsible for paying their own expenses on the trip.
- A rider commits to raising a minimum donation of $1,500 and riding his/her machine from Mackinaw City to Harsens Island. The $1,500 can be generated in many ways. Some riders solicit funds through their business associates, others have pig roasts, spaghetti dinners, golf tournaments, bingo's, steak outs, etc.
- Members who raise their money and do not have a PWC or cannot ride will be offered a spot to ride on a Support Boat.
- The water support personnel are in boats with two to six riders assigned to each boat, responsible for the safety of their riders.
- The land support crew follow along on land assisting the riders at each fuel stop, docking, and transporting luggage and equipment.
The Special Olympics program was founded in 1968 by the Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Foundation, to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition for individuals with intellectual disabilities. At this time thereare more than 19,620 athletes who participate in Special Olympics Michigan. As a non-profit organization, Special Olympics Michigan relies upon the generous contributions of time, material, and money from individuals, organizations, and businesses. Without their support, the program would not exist.
If you would like to get involved on any level, please feel free to contact us. We are waiting to hear from you.
Coordinator Wendy May
P.O. Box 234
Anchorville, MI 48004
Water Warriors 2014 Board of Directors:
- Ann Plegue
- Tom Chauvin
- Dan Garon
- Chris Johns
- Bryan Rollison
- Karen Winkle
- Mary Rener
- Wendy May
- Lisa Pioszak
- Darlene Markel
Land Support Director:
- Karen Winkle
Assistant Land Suport Director:
- Jerry Markel
- Matt Addy
- Brad Saegesser
2012 ERIC MUELLER BIG HEART AWARD
Congratulations to Wendy May!
2013 ERIC MUELLER BIG HEART AWARD
Congratulations to Tom Chauvin and Ann Plegue!
On Saturday, November 23, 2013 Water Warriors members attended the Special Olympics Michigan State Poly Hockey Tournament in Lansing. We participated in the Opening Ceremonies and presented Special Olympics Michigan athletes with a check for $55,000!!! We also participated in an autograph session with the athletes. The Warriors attended a few of the Poly Hockey games and cheered on the St. Clair River Rockers coached by Tom Chauvin. It was a great weekend and a wonderful opportunity to see how they money we raise helps sponsor this event that hosted Poly Hockey teams from all across Michigan!
2014 CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Ongoing: Candle Sale - Bryan & Roxanne Rollison (firstname.lastname@example.org) There are 20 different scents & they are $12 ea. (Shipping available)
- June 25th: Lake St. Clair Fun Run - Poker Run (Ann Plegue - email@example.com)
- July 20th: Water Warriors Meeting at Brown's on Harsens Island at 1:00 p.m.
- July 27th-August 1st: WATER WARRIORS RIDE [Sunday 7/27: Mackinaw City] [Monday 7/28: Alpena] [Tuesday 7/29: Tawas] [Wendesday 7/30 Port Austin] [Thursday 7/31: Port Huron] [Friday 8/1: Brown's - Harsens Island]
- July 29th: Tawas Steak Out - Bay Inn & Crow's Nest (Ester Radgowski)
- July 31st: Pig Roast - Bridge Harbor - Port Huron: 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Tom Chauvin - firstname.lastname@example.org)
- July 31st: Office Lounge Fundraiser - Port Huron: 8 p.m. - ? (Jerry & Darlene Markel - email@example.com)
- August 23rd: Eric Mueller Memorial Kayak Run [Harsens Island] (Wendy May - firstname.lastname@example.org)
Knights of Columbus #5981 - Gold
Marten Medals & Molds (Fraser, MI) - Gold
Kenmore Asphalt (Shelby Twp., MI) - Gold
Trion Solutions (Troy, MI) - Gold
Grace Performance (Kimball, MI) - Gold
Advance Metal Alloys, Inc. (Howell, MI) - Silver
Marine City United Methodist Church - Silver
Sterling Thread Products, Inc. (Clinton Twp., MI) - Silver
L&M Machining & Manufacturing (Warren, MI) - Silver
Perch Pointe Conservation Club (Casco, MI) - Bronze
Elite Mold & Engineering (Shelby Twp., MI) - Bronze
Millstone Pond LLC (St. Clair Shores, MI) - Bronze
David Peters (Macomb, MI) - Bronze
The Wayne & Joan Webber Foundation (Clinton Twp., MI) - Bronze
E. Knapp & Son Concrete, Inc. (New Baltimore, MI) - Bronze
First Impression Custom Printwear, Inc. (Clinton Twp., MI) - Bronze
Miller Marina (St. Clair Shores, MI) - Bronze
Achatz Catering (Adair, MI)
Algonac Harbour Club (Algonac, MI)
Alpena Municipal Marina (Alpena, MI)
Al's Restaurant (Harbor Beach, MI)
American Legion (Mackinaw City, MI)
Area 10 Special Olympics Michigan (Huron County, MI)
B&D Drywall Supply (Clinton Twp., MI)
Bay Inn (Tawas, MI)
Baymont Inn & Suites (Mackinaw City, MI)
Blue Spruce & Lucky Horseshoe Motels (Port Austin, MI)
Bridge Harbour Marina (Port Huron, MI)
Brown's (Harsens Island, MI)
Buffalo Wild Wings (Port Huron, MI)
Caseville Kiwanis (Caseville, MI)
Caseville Marina (Caseville, MI)
Cass Auto Parts of Mt. Clemens, Inc. (Mt. Clemens, MI)
Chris Chartier (Marine City, MI)
Eagle Bay Marina (Standish, MI)
East Tawas State Harbor (Tawas, MI)
Fred Duemling (St. Clair, MI)
Glen's Marina (Rogers City, MI)
Grosso Trucky & Supply Co. (Fair Haven, MI)
Hampton Inn (Port Huron, MI)
Harrisville Harbor (Harrisville, MI)
James & Pam Kukendall (Ira, MI)
Jeremy's Automotive & Performance LLC (Casco, MI)
Lexington State Harbor (Lexington, MI)
Lite Electric, Inc. (Macomb, MI)
Mac & Ray's Banquet Center (Harrison Twp., MI)
Mackinaw City Municipal Marina (Mackinaw City, MI)
Marine City Landsculpting LLC (Casco Twp., MI)
Mark's Auto Service (Casco Twp., MI)
McFat's Meats (Ira Twp., MI)
Migizi Economic Development (Standish, MI)
Nick Webster (Clinton Twp., MI)
Nowicki's Sausage Shoppe (Alpena, MI)
Office Lounge (Port Huron, MI)
Port Austin State Harbor (Port Austin, MI)
Protech Laser, Inc. (Chesterfield, MI)
Rogers City Marina (Rogers City, MI)
Rygwelski's IGA (Rogers City, MI)
Saganing Eagle's Landing Casino (Standish, MI)
Saganing Tribal Center (Standish, MI)
St. Clair Boat Harbor (St. Clair, MI)
St. Clair County Sherriff (St. Clair, MI)
Tawas Bay Eagles (Tawas, MI)
The Sweet Tooth (Marine City, MI)
The Voyageur (St. Clair, MI)
Thumb National Bank & Trust (Caseville, MI)
Tin Fish Restaurant (St. Clair Shores, MI)
Water Landscapes (Waterford, MI)